Friday, February 25, 2011

Looking to the future

AToday I am feeling my age, with the feelings about unions, city employees, and pensions I am looking to the future.  Where are we going to retire to, not Omaha that is for damn sure.  So we have a vacation coming up in April and I would love to drive around and see how we like some states that we are considering.  I have time, lots of time but still it would be nice to have an idea and begin in that direction.  So states like New Mexico, Wyoming, Minnesota, Missouri,  Colorado, Oregon, Utah, Alaska, and Both of the Dakotas come to mind. Why you ask. Well they all have excellent hunting opportunities, they are a bit more wild.  We are looking at small towns and country living.  Yes I am a country boy at heart and I miss the farm life, correction I miss the acreage life.  We are looking for a place to let the dogs roam, a place to hunt - waterfowl, upland and big game, a place to set up a trap house so we can shoot trap from the back deck.  Somewhere near national forests, wildlife management areas, Mountains would always be a plus.  Somewhere with topography.  Nebraska is a topographic wasteland.  We have a few bumps, a few hills but mostly we are a wind swept plain of blah.  Now the sand hills in Northwestern Nebraska are so amazing that they should be a state themselves.  Hell I could see us moving to Western Nebraska to be near my family, but thats the catch.  Why not move to Iowa to be near Nej's family.  So a conclusion, we are just plain moving away.  Getting out of Dodge.. I used to live in Dodge so I know how that works.
Now what do we look for?  When I look I tend to track toward farm properties. Small farms would be ideal for me.  Plant in food plots and manage for game.  I would be in hog heaven.  We would have to make trips to Mexico to get our tequila fix.  We would have to go to hockey games somewhere.  There will be enough room to have family and friends stay with us for a couple of weeks without having a Shinning moment.  Ahh well, to be honest all it has to be is a place where Nej and I are happy.  Thats really what counts.  The rest is just frosting.  Still, shooting trap off the back deck would rock.

4 comments:

  1. I have the Green Acres song playing in my head now.

    Green Acres is the place to be...farrrrrm living is the life for me....land spreadin' out for far and wide...

    While I don't need a penthouse view, civilization being within reach is preferable. Just thought I'd mention that. :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh but city folk get annoyed when you shoot shotguns off the back deck. Silly city folk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Depends on what part of the city I suppose. (giggle)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have family in Northern Idaho. We can plan a trip there so you can see if you like it.

    ReplyDelete