Monday, February 14, 2011

Titles, authors and cover art.

Now that we have our libation we are set to get down to business, today that will be reading.  We need to find the ideal location to spend the next several hours in comfort.  My personal favorite in the spring and fall is to lay in the hammock with our 90 lb puppy of love, Duckdawgs Sam I Am.  Yes, we are the proud guardians of a outstanding black lab and she is determined to be the center of any and all activities that occur at Mot household.
So we are situated with beverage in reach, good lighting, a puppy of love in a position that does not cause intense amounts of discomfort, what shall we read.

Choosing the book.

I choose books at the store based on several criteria

  •     Do I know this author and enjoy them?
  •     Have people / authors I like recommended them?
  •     Does the cover jump out at me?
  •     Does the first chapter drag me into the world?
My shameful  secret is that I am sucked in by cover art.  People make large amounts of money just to create a picture to make you look at it a second time.  I fall prey to the influence of the cover artist.  I have several that really grab me and I have to look back at them several times.  Lets face it not all artists are created equal.  You have the classic greats like Frank Frazetta.   One of my current favorites is Raymond Swanland, his work caught my eye and I ended up reading the entire James Wyatt dragon series.  Now I know that you can't judge a book by its cover but it is the cover grabs me initially.  

Now several for my favorite fiction / science fiction / fantasy authors (the vast majority of what I read)

1.  Jim Butcher.  If you have not read the Dresden files you really should.  I met Butcher at a book signing he is very personable and a pleasure to talk with.  Harry Dresden is a GREAT character, as a wizard detective in Chicago that the author tortures over and over in the series.  Here is the first chapter of Storm Front, the first book of the series.  Currently there are 13 books out and each one gets better then the previous.  Once you get into the Dresden Files you had better check out the Codex Alera series, which is where I started actually. Now I own all the books in hard back and wait for each new one to come out.  Pick up Storm Front and start the series you will not be disappointed. 

2.  John Ringo.  Published via Baen books this is one of my repeat reads.  He has several series and I devour on a periodic basis.  Paladin of the shadows, Empire of Man, The Last Centurion,   legacy of the Aldenata and Council Wars.  Now Ringo is a diverse author that appeals to my soul, his books range from hardcore science fiction to modern fiction.  When I get tired of the fantasy and fiction I tend to come back to Ringo for a breather.  

3. Mercedes Lackey.  Not much to say about her that has not already been said.  AMAZING author.  I have read a huge range of her books and have enjoyed them all.  She is an old friend in my world of books.

4.  W.E.B. Griffin  Well, if you have ever read any military fiction then you should know Griffin.  His series cover Army, Marines, OSS and Police.  His characters are filled out, believable, and damn smart.  This author is a family favorite.  My father, a former Marine Corps drill sergeant, introduced me to Griffin and now its a race to finish the new books first.  Friendly competition is after all part of life.  His Army series, brotherhood of war, spans from the conflict in Greece to Korea and very well worth the read and then several beers to discuss whats happened in the series.  Fantastic series.

5.  Jack Higgins.  Jack Higgins created one of the greatest and most brutal characters I have ever read, Sean Dillon an IRA enforcer captured and convinced to work with the British government.  Great series Great author.  

Now I have been an avid reader since I was a wee lad.  Our current library upstairs holds many different authors and series.  To many authors to list initially ranging from J.R.R. Tolkien to David Weber to  Mario Acevedo to Kim Harrison.  This is but an overview, a mere taste to wet the appetite.  Getting into individual books/series will come later.  





1 comment:

  1. Wetting the appetite is right. We have nearly 400 books upstairs in our den. Mot saying he's a reader is the biggest understatement of the century. :-) :-)

    Love you babe!

    ReplyDelete